- World debut of new generation Lexus IS model at the Geneva Motor Show
- IS follows new GS model in expressing the Lexus L-Finesse design philosophy
- New car equipped with first diesel engine for a Lexus model
- 2.2-litre four-cylinder diesel unit is most powerful in its class, producing 175bhp, and has class-leading torque output, 400Nm from 2,000 to 2,400rpm
- Power, smoothness and refinement of operation meet Lexus’s exceptional standards
- New IS also to feature new direct-injection 2.5-litre V6 petrol engine
- Six-speed automatic transmission with paddle-shift gearchange to be offered on V6
- Superb handling and class-leading safety equipment
- 10 airbags as standard, including first-in-segment double knee airbag
- Radar-controlled Pre-crash Safety System (PCS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Intelligent Adaptive Front Lighting System (I-AFS) available
- European sales to start in late 2005
The new generation Lexus IS makes its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show, following the new GS as the second model to be created encompassing the Lexus new L-Finesse design principles.
The presentation of the all-new model also marks the arrival of Lexus’s first diesel engine, an all-aluminium, 2.2-litre four-cylinder unit that is the most powerful in its class with a maximum output of 175bhp. It also produces class-leading torque, with 400Nm developed between 2,000 and 2,400rpm.
The new engine meets Lexus’s exacting requirements in terms of power and refinement, offering exceptionally quiet and smooth operation with superb performance.
A new 2.5-litre V6 petrol engine with a stoichiometric direct injection system is also available for the new IS. This engine will be available with a six-speed automatic transmission with sequential paddle-shift control.
Superior body control, cornering grip and straight-line stability are hallmarks of the new IS, set to continue to be one of the best-handling sports saloons in its segment. It will feature class-leading safety equipment, including Lexus’s radar-controlled Pre-Crash Safety system (PCS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Intelligent Adaptive Front Lighting System
(I-AFS). Ten airbags will be fitted as standard, including a first-in-segment double knee airbag. Performance, traction control and vehicle stability will be further enhanced by Lexus’s Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management System (VDIM).
The new generation IS will go on sale in Europe at the end of 2005 with the diesel model following in 2006.