Lexus announces presence at Milan Design Week 2013 with new Lexus Design Award
Lexus today announces the launch of the first Lexus Design Award, an international design competition aimed at designers working across a great range of fields, from architecture and product design to fashion. Through this initiative, Lexus intends to nurture creativity and support the skills and vision of young designers working around the world.
The winners will have the chance to develop prototypes with world-renowned designers, and display their work at Milan Design Week 2013.
A panel of six experts will select 10 finalists from the initial entries, with two given the opportunity to work with product designer Sam Hecht and architect Junya Ishigami as their mentors. They will also receive financial support to cover their prototype and production costs.
All the finalists will be invited to show their work to the press and public at the Milan Design Week, one of the world’s leading showcases for contemporary design. The two winners will exhibit their full prototypes, with the other finalists presenting panel displays illustrating their concepts in the Lexus exhibition halls.
The theme of the Lexus Design Award 2012 is motion, a concept that is directly connected to people’s everyday lives. Taking up this theme, Lexus welcomes entries that share the values of its own design philosophy, while demonstrating personal innovation and originality.
Applications may be submitted up to 31 December via a dedicated web page on the designboom website: http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/24386/lexus-design-award-2012.html
Lexus Design Award 2012: call for entries
- Applications: October 30, 2012–December 31, 2012
- Theme: Motion
The award is open to all nationalities. Judging criteria:
- Depth of understanding of the competition theme and the interpretation of it.
- Uniqueness of perspective and originality of solutions
- Jaime Hayon, designer
- Toyo Ito, architect
- Birgit Lohmann, Chief Editor, DesignboomPaola Antonelli, curator
- Aric Chen, curator
- Kiyotaka Ise, President of Lexus International
- Sam Hecht, product designer
- Junya Ishigami, architect
- Ten finalists will be invited to the Milan Design Week*.
- Two entries from the ten winners will receive up to five million yen (€48,000) each to cover prototype and production costs. The designers of the two entries will create prototypes of their award winning designs through sessions with two assigned mentors between February and March 2013.
- Two full prototypes along with panel displays of the eight other finalists will be presented to the media and public in the Lexus exhibition halls during the Milan Design Week in 2013.
Organiser Lexus International In cooperation with design boom and DESIGN ASSOCIATION NPO Applications Through the design boom website (URL below)
http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/24386/lexus-design-award-2012.html For more information Visit http://www.lexus-global.com/design/lda*In the case of individual applicants, the winner will be invited. In the case of group applicants, up to two people will be invited.