LEXUS RX300 SETS NEW STANDARDS IN LUXURY SUV SEGMENT
UK pricing and grade structure announced
- New Lexus RX300 on sale in the UK from 16 May
- RX300, SE and SE-L grades available
- Prices from £28,950, matching entry-level price of previous model range
- Introduction of significant new safety, convenience and comfort features, not available on any rival SUV
- First UK application of Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) and adaptable four wheel air suspension
- Driver’s knee airbag standard on all versions
- Power operated tailgate and tonneau cover
Ever since the original Lexus RX300 was launched, the competition has been playing a game of catch-up. The RX300 was the original luxury SUV, delivering levels of comfort and convenience other manufacturers were soon eager to copy.
If they had their work cut out then, they now have an even tougher job on their hands with the launch of a new, second generation Lexus RX300 this spring.
Due to reach the UK’s roads on 16 May, the new car is more than just superbly specified, it offers features you simply won’t find on any comparable car, at any price.
The list of exclusive equipment includes:
- Active Front-lighting System (AFS), the UK’s first fully adaptive headlight system which adjusts the angle of illumination according to steering input and vehicle speed.
- A power operated tailgate that opens and closes at the touch of a button on the dashboard or key fob.
- A driver’s knee airbag, part of comprehensive active and passive safety package that’s standard on all versions.
- Colour rear-view camera integrated into the Lexus Navigator satellite guidance system.
- LED (light emitting diode) rear lamps that provide more rapid illumination under braking.
The new entry level RX300 will be equipped with cruise control, a new five speed automatic transmission with sequential gearshifting; an eight speaker sound system with integral six disc CD autochanger; front, side, Curtain Shield and driver’s knee airbags; wood and aluminium cabin details.
The standard equipment list extends further with Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), ABS and Brake Assist (BA); 17-inch alloy wheels, electrically adjustable front seats and High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with cleaning system.
The SE version adds 18-inch wheels, leather upholstery, heated front seats; a steering wheel electrically adjustable for reach and rake; rain-sensing wipers; memory function for driver’s seat and mirrors; power-operated tailgate and entry door lighting system.
The flagship SE-L is equipped as standard with the Lexus Navigator satellite guidance system with colour image rear view camera; 11-speaker Mark Levinson audio system; four wheel air suspension and Active Front-lighting System (AFS).
The new chassis and sleek, powerful design of the new RX300 provide more space in the cabin for both passengers and their luggage. Intelligent packaging includes a new three-way 40-20-40 folding rear seat (SE and SE-L versions), increasing the vehicle’s built-in versatility. Further development of noise and vibration insulation and advanced wind tunnel aerodynamics testing ensure the car is supremely quiet and comfortable.
The revised 3.0-litre V6 VVT-i petrol engine offers class-leading economy and strong performance and now complies with Euro-IV emissions standards, due to come into force in 2005. The engine is matched to a new five speed automatic transmission with sequential gear shifting.
Equipped with permanent four-wheel drive, the RX300 has fine off-road abilities, whilst offering refined and composed performance on tarmac. The electronically controlled four wheel air suspension system (SE-L version) adjusts through a range of 60mm to improve ground clearance when off-road and to provide better handling dynamics on tarmac.
The full on the road pricing and grade structure is as follows:
- RX300 – £28,950
- RX300 SE – £32,995
- RX300 SE with Lexus Navigator – £35,100
- RX300 SE-L – £37,700
- RX300 SE-L with Wood Finish Pack – £38,100
Further details of specification, performance and cost of ownership will be released nearer the launch date.
Year after year, car owners have consistently voted Lexus number one for satisfaction in J.D. Power & Associates surveys on both sides of the Atlantic. The new RX300 is set to take that satisfaction to even higher levels. For the second year running, Lexus has taken first place for the manufacturers section of the Auto Express Driver Power awards. Out of 33 manufacturers surveyed, Lexus gained key victories for build quality, comfort and reliability.